Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Is faith reasonable?

I had this conversation the other night with my father.

He says faith is reasonable. I say it is not. My father is the wisest person I know so I am sure that I am mistaken or too stupid to fully grasp it all. My enthusiasm often exceeds my knowledge. It all hinges around your definitions of reasonable I suppose. So let's define it as having sound judgment, logical, factual and knowledgable decision making.

My father being so far along in his journey with God can imagine no situation in which choosing to believe God is not the most logical choice. He is the exception.

If you are like me. I will say I feel faith to be unreasonable. Reason is based around mans understanding. Faith is based around our belief in God's understanding. If it is a reasonable act or event anyone could pull it off, it is logical. If it beyond all human ability or reason but it occurs based on the goodness of God, it is miraculous.

I believe faith is believing God is in the business of the miraculous. Miracles are unreasonable because they defy natural laws. Faith is unreasonable because it says regardless of the logic God said it and he is a miracle worker and I believe him.

Reasonable is having flood insurance. Faith is building an ark because God is going to fill it with animals.

I don't want to be reasonable. I want to be inside the ark.




- MZG

No comments:

Post a Comment