Friday, August 9, 2013

We complicate the simple



So today I happened upon a term that I heard a few times before and decided to research it.

Red Letter Christians

If you are not familiar a quick google will allow you to find there website and publications. So the idea is that this group will live by the words of Jesus, hence red letter, specifically the sermon on the mount. I was intrigued and though this could be a great thing. But on the start here page of the website you find members of the organization arguing over the validity and literal use of scripture in everyday life. Now I will not make a case for the literal use of word for word bible (I mean we don't really want to go back to slaves and chariots) but we should realize that information is relevant to the time. At the same time I am not seeking to discredit the idea or this organization as I think the idea is sound. I also believe that all organizations suffer from the same thing. All of us need to realize something, we make it all too complicated, and so with that here comes my take on the matter.

I believe if Jesus had arrived in this time his parables would have worked around different subject matter. Instead of the Good Samaritan he may have given the story if the illegal immigrant (both vilified by their current time). I could see the loaves and fishes being the feeding if the 5000 by one teenagers grilled stuffed burrito meal from TacoBell. Sounds funny for sure, but the parable or miracle is not the message. The message is in the meaning. We forget this so much of the time.

We don't need Red letter Christians. We don't need Baptist, Methodist, or Non-denomination. We need one body of faith based people who love The Lord our God, and who love one another.

People make this real hard. Let me over simplify.

God created man to glorify himself. Man is sinful and does not glorify God. God still loves man gives him laws and a way to fellowship. Man fails. God loves man enough to send his son Jesus. Jesus carries our sins to a cross. Dies with the sin so that we do not have to live bound by it. He ascended back to heaven leaving the Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us. We can enter the presence of God because we are made righteous by accepting the Son.

The rest are details. At the end of the day. Not critical.

I will explain it like this. If a child runs away. The parent searches. Finds the child a day later. The child is dirty. They have broken the rules, torn up some of the parents stuff, run away to hide. The child wasted time and resources of the parent. But non of it is really critical to the parent. The important thing is the child is safe.

Faith is like that story in that if we love the Father and the Son. The Holy Spirit can guide us into a right mindset. If we love The Lord and love others as he does. All the other works out. The idea of debating the rest when we don't have the first would be like the parent of the lost child worrying and fussing because the child was going to get their clothes dirty, when the child was still not found. Sounds crazy right?

Think real hard , are you guilty of the same actions in the name of religiousness ???

For example people waste time arguing about "once saved always saved" as opposed to those who believe salvation can be lost. Both have valid points to be made from scripture based on view points.

I say. Not important. If you really meet Jesus. You don't wanna lose it or give it back. Because of the change in your life and the love for God that whole argument is mute. Why ask a question regarding an issue that will never come up.

Would a parent ask a 8 year old child "if I drop you off in a foreign country will you work your way back to me?" No. Of course not. A parent would not do that to the child. So to even argue an answer or discuss what would be the right answer becomes mute.

If you think you have been guilty of this, cart before the horse mentality, here is a prayer to help get you back on track.

Pray:

God I love you. Strengthen my spirit that I may remember in all I do you are my first love. Lord mold me so that I am a vessel that you can use to love the rest of the world. If anything creates disharmony in my love for you or my love for others Lord let your Holy Spirit steer me away from the hindrance. Lord I bless your name. Through the blood of your Son I pray. Amen





- MZG

No comments:

Post a Comment