Monday, January 27, 2014

Sovereignty of God

King David, man after God's own heart....... he danced to his clothes fell off, we credit him with worship and song...... we say we want to be a "house of David"!

What else was David, adulterer, womanizer, killer, warrior, bandit.... all of these titles fit as well.

I would like to point out something that King David knew that allowed him to be a man after God's own heart. He knew God was sovereign.

Do you understand that word, I didn't. So I did what all good students do, I Googled it- supreme power of authority. David knew that is where God stood, as supreme power and authority over all.

This is why we see he will not kill Saul, God's annointed. It is why he fled from Saul, because God had not told him it was time. It is why he did not build the temple, though he wanted to so badly. He understood God's decisions are without question, the final authority.

I submit the example:

2 Samuel 12:22-23

New International Version (NIV)
22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”
In this we see David weeping and praying for the life of his child that bore the sin of his murder of a soldier for his wife and adultery that led to it. In this event, confronted with his sin, David begged to make in him a clean heart never denying his issues or questioning God. Here we see a man that understands God's authority and supreme power, even to the point that he knows God is just, even when he takes the life of the child.

I agree we need houses of David in the sense of worship, but I believe equally important is heart that bows to the sovereignty of God. Singing and shouting are hollow acts if the heart does not acknowledge the sovereignty. God is not a genie, we do not have the right to blame Him when He does not do it our way. Understanding who He is, His sovereignty is the only way to truly see Him in all the power and glory and worship our Lord as David did.

My prayer is that the Lord make in me a clean heart and allow worship God as sovereign.   

No comments:

Post a Comment